1. German squadron of five cruisers defeats British squadron of four vessels off Coronel, Chile, sinking the "Good Hope" and the "Monmouth."
3. Russia declares war against Turkey.
7. Tsingtao surrenders to the Japanese.
9. German cruiser "Emden," after sinking 25 merchant ships in the South Pacific, is driven ashore at Cocos Islands by Australian cruiser "Sydney."
10. Germans capture Dixmude and cross Yser canal.
11. Russians take Johannisburg, East Prussia.
20. British parliament authorizes an additional army of 1,000,000.
22. Germans heavily attack Ypres, held at great sacrifices by British.
27. Russians occupy Czernowitz.
30. Battle of Flanders for possession of the Channel ports, after six weeks of terrific struggle, ends with the Allies firmly holding their lines from the Lys to the sea. Under the eyes of the Kaiser, several hundred thousand picked German troops had been thrown against the Anglo-Belgian and French forces. The Belgians and the British sacrificed the greater part of their original armies, but, supported by the French under the direction of General Foch, withstood all onslaughts, maintained control of Calais and Dunkirk, and inflicted upon the German army losses estimated at upwards of 200,000 men.