Index Previous Page Next Page
World War One: October, 1914
1. British Indian troops arrive at Marseilles.
3. Russians severely defeat Germans in a great five days' battle near Augustowo.
9. Antwerp surrenders to the Germans.
13. Germans occupy Lille.
Allies stoutly resist German advance toward the Channel ports.
British capture Ypres.
Belgian government removed to Havre.
14. German forces enter Bruges.
Canadian forces arrive at Plymouth.
15. Germans occupy Ostend.
20. Germans forced to retreat in Poland.
30. Belgians flood Yser valley, preventing German advance toward Calais.