2. Austrian forces capture Belgrade.
6. Russians begin bombardment of Cracow.
8. British recapture Passchendaele.
Serbians inflict crushing defeat on Austrian armies, recapturing Ushitza and Valievo.
Powerful British squadron under Vice-Admiral Sturdee, destroys German squadron of five cruisers off Falkland Islands, sinking the "Scharnhorst," "Gneisenau," "Nurnberg," and "Leipzig." The "Dresden" temporarily escaped.
12. Montenegrins inflict further defeat on retreating Austrians and occupy Vishegrad.
14. Serbians recapture Belgrade and expel all Austrians from Serbian soil.
16. German cruisers bombard Hartlepool, Scarborough, and Whitby on east coast of England.
“What a blessed condition is a true believer in! When he dies, he goes to God; and while he lives, everything shall do him good. Affliction is for his good. What hurt does the fire to the gold? It only purifies it.”
–Thomas Watson, A Divine Cordial