2. Austrian forces capture Belgrade.
6. Russians begin bombardment of Cracow.
8. British recapture Passchendaele.
Serbians inflict crushing defeat on Austrian armies, recapturing Ushitza and Valievo.
Powerful British squadron under Vice-Admiral Sturdee, destroys German squadron of five cruisers off Falkland Islands, sinking the "Scharnhorst," "Gneisenau," "Nurnberg," and "Leipzig." The "Dresden" temporarily escaped.
12. Montenegrins inflict further defeat on retreating Austrians and occupy Vishegrad.
14. Serbians recapture Belgrade and expel all Austrians from Serbian soil.
16. German cruisers bombard Hartlepool, Scarborough, and Whitby on east coast of England.
“Whatever we find lovely in a friend, or in a saint, ought to elevate our affections: we should conclude that if there is so much sweetness in a drop; there must be infinitely more in the fountain. If there is so much splendour in a ray, what must the sun be in its glory!”
–Henry Scougal, The Life of God in the Soul of Man