2. Austrian forces capture Belgrade.
6. Russians begin bombardment of Cracow.
8. British recapture Passchendaele.
Serbians inflict crushing defeat on Austrian armies, recapturing Ushitza and Valievo.
Powerful British squadron under Vice-Admiral Sturdee, destroys German squadron of five cruisers off Falkland Islands, sinking the "Scharnhorst," "Gneisenau," "Nurnberg," and "Leipzig." The "Dresden" temporarily escaped.
12. Montenegrins inflict further defeat on retreating Austrians and occupy Vishegrad.
14. Serbians recapture Belgrade and expel all Austrians from Serbian soil.
16. German cruisers bombard Hartlepool, Scarborough, and Whitby on east coast of England.
“He is gracious; he shows mercy, not because we deserve mercy, but because he delights in mercy.”
–Thomas Watson, A Divine Cordial