4-30. Russian offensive in Volhynia and Bukowina.
5. British cruiser "Hampshire" destroyed by torpedo or mine near the Orkney Islands. Lord Kitchener, British field-marshal and secretary of state for war, his staff, and other prominent men en route to Russia on a secret mission lose their lives. Only 12 out of 670 persons on board survive.
6. The Russians recapture fortress of Lutsk.
10. The Russians capture Dubno and other fortresses, taking 35,000 prisoners.
15. Russians defeat Austrians on the Stripa, taking 14,000 prisoners.
17. Czernowitz taken by the Russians who occupy all Bukowina.
22. Arabian tribes in revolt against the Turks capture Mecca.
23-24. The Germans, northeast of Verdun, capture Thiaumont Redoubt and Fleury.
27. King Constantine of Greece decrees complete demobilization of the Greek army.
30. Russians capture Kolomea, in Galicia.