1-7. Russians administer severe check upon Austrian advance at battle of Krasnik.
6. The Italian government proclaims a blockade of the Adriatic.
8. Germany sends a second unsatisfactory answer to the American demand concerning methods of submarine warfare.
9. Entire German force in German Southwest Africa surrenders to General Botha.
18. Russians begin evacuation of Warsaw.
21. The United States government sends a pointed note to the German government stating that "it cannot believe that the Imperial government will refrain from disavowing the wanton act of its naval commander."
23. French forces in Kamerun capture Moopa.
24. Italians destroy one of the forts at Plava.
30. Germans use flame projectors in capturing British trenches east of Ypres.
Austro-German forces reach Lublin, Poland.
German army crosses Vistula north of Ivangorod.