Note:  Do not rely on this information. It is very old.


Almack's (so called from the original proprietor), the former name of the suite of assembly rooms afterwards known as Willis's Rooms. They are situated in King Street, St. James, and were first opened in 1770, and were famous until 1840 for the very select balls that used to be given there. So select indeed was the company, that to be seen at Almack's was regarded as a certificate of good social standing.