Index Previous Page Next Page
World War One: January, 1917
8. Germans capture Fokchany, taking 4000 prisoners, and Gabresska with 5400 prisoners, practically completing the conquest of Rumania.
10. The allied governments state their terms of peace.
17. Great Britain repeats to President Wilson the allied demand for the expulsion of the Turks from Europe and mentions specifically the return of Alsace-Lorraine to France and of Italia Irredenta to Italy.
24. German troops thrust back the Russian lines near Riga.
25. The Germans capture Russian positions on the Galician front.
31. Germany proclaims unrestricted submarine warfare, declaring her intention to sink without warning all merchant ships in the war zone, specifying that one American vessel a week will be permitted to sail on a prescribed route under certain limited conditions.