Valladolid (Classic Pintia), a province and its capital in the W. of Spain. The former has an area of about 3,000 square miles, lying between Leon and Palencia on the N. and Segovia and Avila on the S. It is mainly level, and pastures numbers of horses, mules, and cattle. The Douro, Duraton, Eresma, and Pisuerga are the chief rivers. The city stands on the left bank of the Pisuerga, about 100 miles N.W. of Madrid. Among its public buildings are the Cathedral (begun by Philip II. and never finished), the noble churches of Santa Maria, San Martin, and San Benito, and the University (dating from 1346). Silk, cotton, and woolen goods, jewellery, and earthenware are the chief manufactures, and a large trade is done in agricultural produce. It was formerly the capital of Castile, and then of all Spain until 1560.