Trieste, the chief port of the Austrian Empire, on the Gulf of Trieste, at the head of the Adriatic Sea, 45 miles south-west of Laibach. The old town consists of narrow, irregular streets, climbing up the sides of a steep hill, on the summit of which is a castle (1508-1680). The cathedral, which belongs chiefly to the 14th century, retains portions of a Roman temple. From the old to the new town runs the Corso, a broad, handsome thoroughfare. The Tergesteo (1840), a magnificent building in the new town, comprises an exchange, reading-room, shops, etc. The harbour, which is large and commodious, has recently been much improved.