Tournay or TOURNAI (Flemish Doornik), a Belgian town in the province of Hainault, 45 miles S.W. of Brussels. Seven bridges cross the Scheldt on either side of which extend broad quays planted with trees. The newer part of the town has a very neat appearance. Boulevards now occupy the site of Vauban's fortifications. There is a fine Romanesque cathedral, with paintings by Flemish masters. The principal manufactures are stockings and Brussels carpets. Tournay is believed to be Caesar's Civitas Nerviorum. In the 5th century it became the capital of the Franks. In the Granne Place is a statue of the Princess d'Epinoy, who held the town against Alexander of Parma in 1581.