Tiryns, a Peloponnesian city, situated on a small rock of oval form in the marshy plain of Argolis, to the S.E. of Argos, about 3 miles from the Argolic Gulf. Its "Cyclopean" walls belong to a period anterior to the Dorian immigration. About 468 B.C. it was destroyed by the people of Argos. The excavations of Dr. Schliemann (1884-85) have brought to light a palace of the 11th or 10th century B.C.