Thorn, a fortified city of Western Prussia, is on the right bank of the Vistula (here crossed by a viaduct), 31 miles S.E. of Bromberg. It was founded by the Teutonic League in 1231, and subsequently became a Hanse town. It passed to Poland in 1454, and to Prussia in 1793. It contains a town-hall, some interesting old buildings, and a statue of Copernicus. A conference was held here in 1645 to try to reconcile the Church and the reformers. There is a trade in corn and timber. The majority of the inhabitants are Polish Catholics.