Tarifa, a seaport of Spain, is the most southerly poit and town of the peninsula, in the district of Andalusia and the province of Cadiz, and 21 miles S.W. of Gibraltar. The town, which presents evident traces of Moorish occupation, is connected by a causeway with a small island upon which are a fortification and a lighthonse, 130 feet high, throwing a light to a distance of 30 miles. The chief industries are tunny- and anchovy-fishing, leather-making, and the growing of sweet oranges. It became a Moorish possession in 710 A.D., and was taken by Spain in 1292. General Gough defended it against a French army in 1812.