Tangier, a seaport of Morocco, is on the N.E. coast of Africa, on the Straits of Gibraltar, and at the N.W. of a bay, and 14 miles E. of Cape Spartel. The town has walls and a citadel, and rises in the form of an amphitheatre, presenting a pleasant view from the sea. The principal street leads from the Port Gate to the Market Gate, and a brisk trade goes on in the market. The othter streets are narrow and the architecture poor. There is a large trade with Gibraltar, the other industries being the manufacture of woollen cloth, mats, and pottery, and there is some tanning. The climate is temperate and healthy, but there is at times a scarcity of water. Tangier formed part of the dowry of Catherine of Braganza, but was abandoned by England in 1694. Colonel Kirke, with his "Lambs," was guartered here, and the Royal West Surrey regiment still carries the Lamb and Flag in commemoration; while a spot at Taunton, where the regiment was stationed in the Monmouth campaign, still bears the name of Tangier.