Stalybridge, stands on the Tame, the boundary of Lancashire and Cheshire. 7-1/2 miles east of Manchester, and rose into importance at the end of the last century as the site of the first cotton-mill, steam-power, too, being first used here for spinning and weaving. It now possesses large factories for cotton and wollen goods, iron and brass wares, and nails. There are fine public buildings and a large park. In 1857 a municipal charter was obtained, and in 1867 the town received the right of returninga member to Parliament.