St. Quentin, a French town on the Somme in the department of Aisne, 33 miles S. of Cambrai. The church is a noble building, ranging in date from the 12th to the 15th century, with a crypt of much greater age. The handsome Gothic town~hall was erected in the 15th and 16th centuries. Cotton goods and embroidery are manufactured on a 1arge scale. A French army under the Constable de Montmorency was defeated here in August, 1557, by the joint forces of the English and Spaniards, and in 1871 the Germans defeated the French under Faidherbe.