St. Helier, the capital of Jersey, is situated on St. Aubin's Bay on the S. side of the island. It is protected by Fort Regent (1806-15), which stands on a height on the E. side of the harbour, and by Elizabeth Castle (1551-86), built on a rock which is connected with the shore by a causeway. Victoria College (1852) is a school of some standing. The town has a good harbour and carries on a considerable trade. It is also a favourite watering-place. A zoological station was opened in 1893.