Spandau, a fortified town in the province of Brandenburg, Prussia, 8 miles N.W. of Berlin, and at the point where the Heavel joins the Spree. It is an ancient place, and for many years served as a prison and treasury, a large gold reserve being kept there for military emergencies. The works have been greatly strengthened of late years, and large factories have been erected for guns, powder, and all the munitions of war. It was taken by the Swedes in 1635, and by the French in 1806. Baron Trenck was imprisoned here about 1760.