Sherborne, or SHERBOURNE, a market-town of Dorsetshire on the river Yeo, 6 miles from Yeovil. In Saxon times it was the capital of Wessex and the seat of a bishopric. A great Benedictine abbey was founded here, and the fine Norman minster serves as a parish church. The grammar school, founded in 1550, is a flourishing institution. Silk-throwing and glove-making are the chief industries.