Sheffield, a municipal and parliamentary borough in the West Riding of Yorkshire, 39 miles S. of Leeds and 37 miles S.E. of Manchester, with stations on the Midland, Great Northern, and other rnilways. Since the time of Chancer it has been the chief seat of the cutlery trade, and the Cutlers' Company was incorporated in 1624. In later years the manufacture of heavier steel goods has been developed, and armour-plates, shot and shell, castings for engines, rails, etc., are turned out in large quantities. Stoves, grates, plated goods, and optical instruments are important products. Among modern buildings are the Town Hall, Cutlers' Hall Ruskin Museum, and Mappin Art Gallery. The town and suburbs are divided into five electoral districts, each returning a member to Parliament.