Pola, the chief naval station and arsenal of Austria, is situated in Istria on a headland 55 miles south of Trieste. Austria acquired it with Venetia in 1815, and its modern rise began in 1848. The port, divided into two basins by an island, is almost land-locked, and has strong fortifications. Everything needed for a large fleet can be made in the arsenal, whilst there is ample accommodation for the growing commercial traffic. Among other Roman remains are an amphitheatre and temple of Diana.