Plymouth, a seaport, municipal and parliamentary borough (returning two members), situated on the Sound of the same name in the extreme S.W. of Devonshire, England. With Devonport and Stonehouse it forms "The Three Towns." The Sound, protected by the famous breakwater, affords anchorage for the whole navy of England. Mill Bay, where the Great Western Docks are placed, and Sutton Pool accommodate many mercantile ships, and are divided by the lofty promontory known as the Hoe, where stands Smeaton's reconstructed lighthouse and Boehm's statue of Drake. The Government Dockyard in Devonport with Keyham factory and the arsenal make up one of the most complete naval establishments in the world. The church of St. Andrew, dating from 1430 and restored in 1874, is the only remnant of antiquity. There are but few local manufactures except sail-cloth, ropes, biscuits, soap, and gin; but a large foreign and coasting trade is carried on, the exports being chiefly minerals, ores, and marble. Plymouth is an important centre of traffic for goods and passengers. The names of the early explorers Cockeram, Gilbert, Hawkins, and Drake will for ever be associated with the place.