Paderborn, a town of Westphalia, North Germany, 41 miles south of Minden, at the source of the river Pader. Founded by Charlemagne, it was for centuries a free imperial city, and a powerful member of the Hanseatic League. In 1803 it was acquired by Prussia, but Napoleon included it in Westphalia, to which it belonged until the repartition of Germany in 1813. The streets are ancient and narrow, and the fine cathedral, dating from the 12th century, contains the relics of St. Liborius. The town is still the seat of a bishopric and of an important Catholic seminary.