Osnabrvick, a Prussian town of Hanover, is situate on the Hase, 70 miles W. of Hanover. There is an old part - with narrow and irregular streets - and a new part, which is well built, and the suburbs contain some good houses. Among the chief buildings are the Roman Catholic cathedral and the church of St. John, and the Protestant churches of St. Mary and St. John with 12th-century tower. The town once belonged to the Hanseatic League, and the bishopric was secularised and joined to Hanover in 1803. Among the industries are iron- and steel-founding, machine- and railway-shops, bleaching, paper-, flax-, and cotton mills, tile-making, and brewing, and the manufacture of a coarse cloth.