Nagpur, a division of the Central Provinces of India, having an area of 24,000 square miles, with a capital of the same name. The town is 440 miles N.E. of Bombay and, together with its suburbs and surrounding cultivated lands, lies somewhat low. It is well furnished with trees, and has fine tanks, gardens, and Hindoo temples of fine architectural character. On the Sitabaldi Hill, in the neighbourhood, is a fort with a small European garrison. Cotton and woollen cloths are manufactured, and there is a brisk trade in corn, cloth, salt, and European goods. Coal and iron are found, and the opening up of the country will probably bring them into prominence. Aboriginal tribes are numerous in the district. It was governed by rajahs till 1853.