Note:  Do not rely on this information. It is very old.

Murray, John

Murray, John, the founder of the Quarterly Review and of the celebrated publishing-house in Apaemarle Street, through whom Byron, Scott, Campbell, Moore, Southey, Crabbe, Heber, Hallam, and many other distinguished writers were introduced to the public, was born in 1778. He early succeeded his father, and, making the acquaintance of Canning, suggested in 1807 the establishment of the Quarterly, which did not, however, appear until 1809. In 1810 began his connection with Byron. Two years later he moved to Albemarle Street, where his house became the rendezvous of the best literary people. On his death in 1843 he left a son, John Murray "the Second," whose career, equally honourable if not equally brilliant, came to a close half a century after his father's death. John Murray the Third died in 1892. The house still continues.