Middlesborough, a manufacturing town and port in the North Riding of Yorkshire, is situated at the mouth of the Tees, eight miles below Stockton. By the discovery in 1850 of iron-ore in the Cleveland hills it was changed from a small town to an important manufacturing centre, the seat of the Cleveland iron district. Besides this it has large ship-building yards and docks, and exports coal in great quantities, and in recent years salt-boring has become an important industry. By the Reform Bill of 1867 Middlesborough became a parliamentary borough. In 1889 a town-hall and municipal buildings were opened. The Albert Park was given by the first mayor and member, Mr. H. W. Bolckow, to whom a monument was unveiled in 1881.