Note:  Do not rely on this information. It is very old.

Meiningen

Meiningen, the capital of Saxe-Meiningen, and the judicial centre of that duchy as well as of Saxe-Coburg and the districts of Schmalkalden and Schleusingen, is situated on the Werra, 40 miles S. of Eisenach. The old town must have been founded about ten centuries ago, for the parish church dates from 1003. The bishops of Wiirzburg yvere supreme here till 1542, and the dukes of Saxony held it for about 100 years, when it passed to Saxe-Altenburg, being assigned to Saxe-Meiningen in 1680. Around the ancient portion pleasant suburbs have sprung up, with a fine park, a new palace, and other handsome buildings. The Elisabethenburg, where the dukes formerly resided (1682), is now a museum. The theatre, under the patronage of successive rulers, has become famous throughout Europe.