Note:  Do not rely on this information. It is very old.

Lubeck

Lubeck, a free city of Germany, 40 miles N.E. of Hamburg by railway. It lies in a hollow at the foot of a hill, between the Trave and the Wakenitz, about 10 miles above the mouth of the former. The territory belonging to the town covers some 115 square miles, and includes the port of Travemunde, situated at the point where the Trave falls into the Baltic. Lubeck was founded by the Saxons in the 12th century, near the site of the old Slavonic or Wendish town of Liubice. It was made a free city by Frederick II., and played a prominent part in the history of the Hanseatic League (q.v.), the fall of which led to its own decline. Lubeck joined the North German Confederation in 1866, and the Zollverein in 1868. It is governed by an executive body, consisting of fourteen senators" chosen for life, and a legislative house of burgesses containing 120 members. The town wall was levelled in 1802, and converted into walks and gardens. The most notable buildings are the cathedral, begun in 1173, which contains a fine altar-piece; the church of St, Mary, dating from the early part of the 14th century, with two •towers over 400 feet in height; the town-hall, the school of navigation, and the public library.

Lubeck is an important centre of the carrying trade of northern Europe generally, but especially of that between the interior of Germany and the shores of the Baltic. There are cigar factories, breweries, distilleries, iron-foundries, etc., but none of the industries are very important.