Liverpool, the second seaport in the kingdom, an episcopal city (since 1880), and a parliamentary and municipal borough. It stands on the river Mersey, four miles from the sea and 185 miles N.W. of London. It has some magnificent public buildings, among which are the town-hall, the municipal offices (built at a cost of £160,000), the revenue building, the St. George's Hall, the exchange, the public library and museum, built by Sir William Brown at a cost of £30,000, an art gallery (costing the same), given by the late Sir A. B. Walker, the Pictori reading-room, the Government offices, and the law courts. It is well off as regards education, as it contains University College, Liverpool College, the Royal Institute, School of Art and Gallery of Art. It has numerous parks, the largest being Sefton Park (400 acres). The water supply is derived from two sources, from Bolton and Blackburn, and also from Vyrnwy in Wales. Liverpool possesses extensive docks, and an enormous landing-stage which rises andfalls with the tide. Since Elizabeth's reign Liverpool has advanced in importance to an enormous extent, mainly owing to the vast expansion of communication with America.