Note:  Do not rely on this information. It is very old.


Liege (Flemish, Leich), one of the chief towns of Belgium, stands at the junction of the Meuse and Ourthe, 16 miles S.S.W. of Maestricht, and 56 miles by road E.S.E. of Brussels. The old town is on the left bank, the new town on the right bank of the Meuse. The feudal rulers of Liege up to the time of the French Revolution were the Prince-Bishops, who in the 14th century became Princes of the Empire. Continual struggles went on between them and the citizens which led to much bloodshed. In 1467 and 1468 Charles the Bold of Burgundy assisted the Prince-Bishop to subdue the citizens, whose attempts at independence were secretly encouraged by his rival Louis XL of France. In 1650 a strong citadel was built overlooking the left bank of the Meuse, and the town was effectually bridled. It was bombarded for five days by the French in 1691, was taken by Marlborough in 1702, and again by the French in 1792. Although the old cathedral of St. Lambert was destroyed by the revolutionists in 1794, Liege is still rich in churches. St. Paul's, which has a fine pulpit carved by Geefs, has taken the place of St. Lambert. Holy Cross, founded in the 10th century, tjelongs chiefly to the 12th and 14th. Other churches are St. Jacques, a 10th-century building, with a polygonal choir; St. Martin, an old church, which was rebuilt in the 16th century; and St. Barthelemy. The 16th-century palace of the Prince-Bishops is now used for law courts and university buildings. The university of Liege is a flourishing institution of the early 17th century, having a school of mines and several other educational institutions attached to it. The city is strongly fortified and adorned by numerous handsome bridges. It is the centre of a great mining district, coal being found under the city and the river. More firearms are made here than in any other town in the world, and there are manufactories of wool, leather, machinery, and steel and iron goods. The city and episcopal territories became a part of Belgium in 1831. The province of Liege, having an area of 1,117 square miles, has Limburg on the N., and Luxemburg on the S. Its principal industries are woollen manufacture and mining; carrier pigeons are also reared.