Lewes, the assize town of Sussex, is 10 miles N.E. of Brighton. It is probably of very ancient origin. In late Saxon times there was a mint here, and the town is celebrated in later times as giving its name to the victory of Simon de Montfort in 1264. There are only slight remains of the castle and priory. Some of the seven churches are, however, of interest. The grammar school was founded in 1512, but most of the buildings are of very recent date. Race-meetings are held three times a year near the site of the battle. The town was incorporated in 1881, and disfranchised by the third Reform Bill. Its chief industries are the corn and malt trade and tanning.