Kirkcudbright, or East Galloway, a county or "Stewartry" in the south of Scotland, having Ayr on the N.. Dumfries on the E., and Wigtown on the W. Its area amounts to 574,581 acres, and there is a coast-line of 45 miles. If is mountainous in the N.W., but is elsewhere gently undulating. Many cattle are reared, anc granite is quarried. There is good salmon fishing at the mouths of the numerous rivers - the Dee, thi Urr, the Nith, etc. - and deep-sea fishing in tin Solway Firth. Besides the capital, Kirkcudbright shire contains the towns of New Galloway, Castlt Douglas, Gatehouse, and Maxwelltown. The count; sends one member to Parliament. 2. Kirkcudbright, the capital, stands at the mouth of the De at the head of Kirkcudbright Bay. It is a very oil town, and was made a royal burgh in 1455. The ok Court House is now used as a Volunteer drill-hall
Kirkcudbright is a member of the Dumfries district of parliamentary burghs. It has the best harbour in the south of Scotland, but is otherwise without commercial importance. At the mouth of the bay, on Little Ross Island, is a good lighthouse.