Kew (originally Kayough), a village in Surrey, standing on the S. bank of the Thames 6 miles from Hyde Park Corner, and connected with London by several lines of railway and by steamboat services. It has thus become a favourite place of suburban residence, the fashion having been led by Frederick, Prince of Wales, who leased Kew House, which was purchased in 1789 by his son George III., and pulled down to make room for quarters for his children. The Botanical Gardens had been started before this by Lord Capel, and were improved by the Aitons and Sir Joseph Banks. In 1840 the nation took them over. With appurtenances they cover 270 acres, and are of great scientific interest. Kew Palace is never used now. but the Duke of Cambridge and other members of the Royal Family still occupy occasionally Kew Cottage, and the quaint church on the Green has been the scene of several royal weddings. A fine stone bridge connects Kew with Brentford.