Kaffa, or Feodosia, a Russian seaport on the S.E. coast of the Crimea. It was founded in the 6th century B.C., under the name of Theodosia, by a body of Greek colonists from Ionia. During the Middle Ages it belonged to the Genoese, and formed an important depot for Eastern goods. In 1474 it was captured by the Turks. Under their rule it carried on a thriving trade in Russian and Polish slaves, but in 1792 it fell into the hands of the Russians. Soap, caviare, and camel-hair carpets are manufactured.