Jassy, the ancient capital of Moldavia, is mentioned as early as the 14th century. It was burnt by Sultan Soliman in 1538, and by John Sobieski in 1686. It gave its name to the treaty concluded between Russia and Turkey in 1792.
It is situated about 200 miles N. of Bucharest, to which, since the formation of the united state of Roumania, it stands in the position of Edinburgh to London after the Union. It is still, however, the residence of a prefect, and the seat of an archbishop. It has also a university and a large hospital. A large proportion of the population are Jews. There is some river trade with Galatz.