Jarrow, a town on the S. bank of the Tyne, 7 miles S.E. of Newcastle. The ruins of the 7th century Benedictine monastery, in which Bede spent his life, are near the parish church, in which is his chair. The modern town dates its rapid rise from the year 1859, when the docks were began. Ship-building, iron-founding, the making of engines. and the manufacture of chemicals, employ a large number of hands, and much coal is shipped hence. The town received its municipal charter in 1875.