Holyhead, a small island off the west coast of Anglesej', North Wales, with which it is connected by a causeway. The town of Holyhead, a port and parliamentary borough on the north side of the island, is important as the terminus of the London and North-Western Railway, whence the mail packets start for Dublin, sixty miles distant. The harbour underwent great improvements between
1850 and 1880, and the roadstead, which now comprises some 400 acres, is defended by a stone wall nearly 40 feet high. The inhabitants are engaged chiefly in ship-building, rope-making, and the coasting trade.