Hawke Bay, a province in the northern island of New Zealand, on the eastern coast between Auckland and Wellington. The area is 4,765 square miles, and the population in 1886 was 24,568. It takes its name from Sir Edward Hawke (q.v.), who was at the head of the Admiralty when Conk discovered it. There is much forest, but much farming also. Napier, a port, is the chief town.