Hawick, a town in Roxburghshire, Scotland. 52 miles S.S.E. of Edinburgh. The only traces of its antiquity are the Moat and a part of "the Tower hotel, which was once a residence of the Douglases of Drunilanrig, one of whom granted the town a charter, which was renewed by Queen Mary in 1545 and reformed by Act of Parliament in 1861.
Hawick was burned by Lord Sussex when he invaded Scotland in 1570. The present buildings are all extremely modern, though a church which was rebuilt in 1763 dates back to the 13th century. The hosiery manufacture, begun in 1771, and the making of plaids and tweeds, set on foot about 1830, are the chief industries. Hawick unites with Selkirk and Galashiels to return one member of Parliament.