Halberstadt, a fine old town in Prussian Saxony, 25 miles S.W. of Magdeburg. Its history goes back to the 9th century, when it became an episcopal see; and it received municipal privileges in 998. It suffered much during the Thirty Years' War, at the close, of which it went to Brandenburg. The cathedral, begun in the 13th and finished in the 14th century, was restored between 1850 and 1871. It is in the Pointed style and has some beautiful coloured glass. The church of Our Lady (12th century), the town-house (14th century) with wine-cellars beneath it, and the Peterhof are also of interest. Gloves, cigars, and machines are made, and railway repairs undertaken.