Haileybury College, 2 miles S.E. of Hertford, was from its foundation in 1809 till 1858 a training institution of the East India Company. Here Malthus and Sir James Mackintosh were once professors, and Lord Lawrence and Sir Bartle Frere cadets. In 1862 the existing public school was opened and endowed with scholarships. The number of boys is limited by the charter to 500.