Guy's Hospital, founded and endowed by Thomas Guy, was opened in 1725. It was further endbwed by a Mr. Hunt in 1829. The income, which amounts to about £40,000 annually, is mainly derived from land in Essex, Lincoln, and Hereford. There is now accommodation for about 700 patients. The number of in-patients is about 5,000, that of out-patients about 70,000 annually. An important medical school is attached to the hospital.