Frankfort-on-the-Oder, a town in the province of Brandenburg, Prussia, 51 miles E.S.E. of Berlin. It was one of the Hanse towns in the 14th and 15th centuries, and is still of commercial importance. Among its manufactures are machines, organs, chemicals, and paper; it has also tanneries and breweries; and three fairs are held in it every year. The town is situated on the Oder, and is connected by canals with the Elbe and Vistula. The university was founded in 1506, and in 1811 was incorporated with that of Breslau.