Flushing (Vlissingen, Flessingue), a Netherland town in Zeeland, on the isle of Walcheren, at the mouth of the West Schelde (which is here from 2 to 3 miles broad), 50 miles S.W. of Rotterdam and 38 miles N.W. of Antwerp. Its forts, together with a fort on the opposite side, command the river, with which it communicates by two deep canals, which admit large vessels into the town. There is a town-hall and an exchange, and a statue of De Ruyter, who was a native. There are a ship-building yard and a large floating dock. The chief industries are brewing, soap-making, fulling, and oil-making. From 1585 to 1616 Flushing was in the hands of the English as a pledge for debt, and in 1809 during the Walcheren expedition it was bombarded, and its old town-hall and other interesting buildings were destroyed.