Elba (formerly AEthalia or lira), an Italian island ill the Mediterranean, separated from the mainland by the Piombino channel. It is 7 miles from Italy, and 30 from Corsica. The isle is mountainous, the greatest height being about 13,000 feet. The forts of Porto-Ferrajo and Porto Longone are fortified and garrisoned. There are no rivers, but plenty of springs. The climate is good and the land fertile, but agriculture is neglected. Many of the inhabitants are engaged ill the sardine and tunny fisheries. There is good iron, and the mines were much worked in the time of the Romans. Silver, marble, granite, and salt are also produced, and thee-e is good fruit and wine. By the Treaty of Amiens (1802) Elba was incorporated in France, and in 1814 the sovereignty was given to Napoleon, who remained there nine months. Vermuth and a particular liqueur are manufactured.