Dartmouth, a seaport, market town, and municipal borough of Devonshire, near the mouth of the Dart, and 30 miles S. of Exeter. The town is picturesquely situated on a succession of steep rocky slopes, and the streets are mounted by steps. There are the remains of an old castle, and among the churches the fourteenth-century church of St. Saviour is notable, and contains a handsome rood-loft and stone pulpit. The harbour, the entry to which is protected by a battery, is deep and well sheltered. Many yachts use it, and the Castle Line of steamers for South Africa call for the mails. The trade of the town is considerable. Dartmouth has played a considerable part in history. The Crusaders of Richard Coeur de Lion started from it, and it was attacked in 1404 by the French, who were repulsed by the women. It supplied ships for the invasion of France.