Dalkeith, a Scottish town upon a spit of land caused by the confluence of the N. and S. Esk to form the Esk, 6 miles S.E. of Edinburgh, in the county of Mid-Lothian. It is a great centre of the Scottish corn trade, and has mills, foundries, breweries, and tanneries. At the old church Dr. Norman Macleod was pastor for three years. Here is also the palace of the Duke of Buccleuch, where used to reside the Regent Morton, who sold the palace to the then Duke of Buccleuch. Charles Edward spent two days here after the battle of Preston Pans, and George IV. and Queen Victoria have each visited it. The present palace was built in 1700 for the widow of the Duke of Monmouth.