Brisbane, Australia, the capital of Queensland, Australia, was founded in 1825 as a penal settlement, and derived its name from the then Governor of New South Wales. It is picturesquely situated on the river Brisbane, about 25 miles from its mouth in Moreton Bay, and 500 miles N. of Sydney. In 1842 it was thrown open to free colonists, and in 1859, when the district was erected into a separate government as Queensland, it was chosen as the capital. The river divides North from South Brisbane, and is spanned by the handsome Victoria swing bridge, a quarter of a mile in length. Kangaroo Point and Fortitude Valley are also districts of the city, which has grown with scarcely less rapidity than marked the rise of Melbourne or Sydney, though it is rather a centre of trade and agriculture than of mineral industries. It is the seat both of an Anglican and a Romanist bishopric, and possesses fine cathedrals and churches. The houses of legislature, the vice-regal lodge, the post-office, and the school of art are fine public buildings. The waterworks, a highly-important matter in a semi-tropical climate, are admirable, and all the other institutions of a colonial capital, such as banks, hospitals, museum, and colleges, exist here. Railways communicate with various parts of the colony, and there are regular lines of steamers running to Sydney and to the northern ports.