Bridewell, originally a well of St. Bride or St. Bridget, between Fleet Street and the Thames. There was originally a castle here, and a royal palace. This was rebuilt in 1552 for the reception of the Emperor Charles V. and his suite, and Henry himself occupied, or thought of occupying it. Bridewell gave its name to a parish, and Edward VI. gave the palace to the City of London as a House of Correction, under which character it was, till comparatively lately, well known.